Saturday, December 1, 2012

Day One in Hong Kong

So we made it! That was one massive trip. We left Atlanta at 12 noon on Thursday and arrived here at 11:30 pm. I think that is about lunch time in GA. We were beat. I think I slept, at most, 1 & 1/2 hours the whole trip. David and Holley Kate got in about 3 hours. It was really hard to sleep on the plane. Delta did a great job entertaining us. There was a tv on the back of the seat in front of us with tons of movies to choose from. Not only that, there were some television shows we could watch as well.

I am not a big movie person but I figured I needed to become one for the trip. The first one I watched was Breaking Dawn part 1. Oh my stars, it was awful. I read the book and actually enjoyed them. The movie was a completely different story. I think I ended up watching about 4 movies. I finished the trip with the Kardashians (on the plane from Japan to HK). Yep, that was awful too. But you know, it was entertaining enough to keep my mind somewhat off my aching body.

Once we made it to the HK airport we had to go through customs. Ugh! Think Six Flags in the summer only a little cooler. Not to mention only working on 1.5 hours of sleep in the past 24 hours. Yea, that was fun.

I could have kissed the guy that was waiting at the airport to drive us to the hotel in our limousine which was minivan :0) I guess we finally made it to the hotel around 2am. Everybody got a hot shower and a dose of Benadryl. We slept hard.

I guess we woke up about 10am and headed out to explore. You know how skinny the streets are in Atlanta? They have NOTHING on Hong Kong. HK is crowded, hilly, stinky, strange, congested etc. It was totally cool though. We found ourselves at a mall where we ate lunch. Our choices were either McDonalds or Asian food places, duh. Have I mentioned that Holley Kate doesn't eat Asian food?
We shared some sort of beef dish. She did eat a little but we had to buy her some M&Ms afterward. We're looking for an American food joint for dinner tonight. Poor Holley Kate needs some "regular" American cuisine.

At some point during the day we ended up at the Lady's Market for souvenirs. We found lots of cool gifts. You get to haggle over the prices which is totally fun for me except when they vendors follow you down the street, grabbing your arm, trying to get you to buy the wares.

Tomorrow we're going to church with a friend of our pastor's. Hopefully we'll go on a tour afterward. Then Monday we meet John!! Woo Hoo!

Thank you for all your prayers. This has been a relatively easy trip so far. We miss Calvin something awful but we know he is great hands right now. We've been able to talk to him via FaceTime,which is really cool, btw.

Talk to y'all tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your trip is going well so far. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you made it safe! See if you can find a Pizza Hut for Holley Kate. It is really good in China and has a varied menu too. We will be praying for your first meeting with John on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete