Saturday, December 22, 2012

I forgot...

At one of our various appointments last week the pediatrician asked me if I was ready for "toddler-hood".   Now, I love this woman, and I trust her completely with my children, but what a funny question. Am I ready? I thought I was before I went to Hong Kong. But I had forgotten a lot!

I forgot that clothes were changed multiple times per day for all kinds of crazy reasons. "Not dose pans momma, new pans" . Really? Whatever.If it makes the kid happy to change pants, what's the big deal? 

And then there is the pee. We change more clothes due to overflow of pee than I can even count.Not to mention the sheets. If you didn't already know, John has diabetes insipidus (different from blood sugar diabetes) which basically means he doesn't produce the hormone to tell him to stop peeing. We give him medicine to supplement this hormone but he still pees SO MUCH! Which leads me to...

Diapers. I can't find one I like. I had just gone to Costco and bought PullUps. Because he's a toddler, right? Nope! PullUps are no match for the Pee Master. Maybe during the day, but not at night. A mother of five recommended Luvs. They work better but he still requires a diaper change in the middle of the night. I'm not complaining. He's a sweet little boy and even more so when he's sleeping.

I also forgot how heavy toddlers are. The muscles on the left side of my body have been spazzing out since we first met John. I took me a while to figure out what was going on. My left hip is my baby slinging hip. My purse and diaper bag tend to go on the left side as well. I've gotta change that.

One last thing I forgot, just how frustrating it is to have a clingy toddler. Last night we went to a friend's Christmas party and John wouldn't let me put him down. I know you've all felt it. The, "if I could just among adults for 5 flippin' minutes without a toddler attached to my hip" feeling.

And then something clicked. The toddler attached to my hip was choosing me to comfort him in a situation that he was uncomfortable with. This is HUGE y'all!

Orphans don't come home knowing what a momma is. They may know the word but they have no reference point. They simply are unaware that there is actually a person whose job is to comfort and protect them. Heck, they've been having to self comfort and protect their own selves for as long as they've been in the orphanage.To rely on someone else to do that for you is a big deal. And John's done just that. 

I was only party kidding the other day when I wrote on FaceBook that John had claimed me as his momma by handing me his booger.In all honesty, he knows me to be the one to take care of things. So when something gross is stuck to your finger, why not just give it to the person who has been taking care of you day and night for the past 2 & 1/2 weeks? I am thankful that God has provided us with such a precious gift. 

It hasn't been the easiest of Christmas seasons. We've had several untimely deaths, but when is death ever timely? As a result we've been sad and stretched thin with a new toddler. Even so, our cup is overflowing. God is good all the time.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you recognized his reliance upon you to comfort him as huge. Yes, very huge indeed. And I hope you didn't let him go. I hope you hugged him just as tightly, assuring him that you loved him with both words and body language. It is absolutely wonderful that he has bonded with you. I'm so glad he has the capacity to love, to feel secure. This little boy is yours now, yours and your family's. Never let him doubt that for a moment. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie -

    This is a wonderful post! I so relate on many levels - having an 11 year old with Down Syndrome who struggles with continence issues! I wish I could advise you on diapers. It is a never ending battle! I have heard medical supply is the next step, unfortunately. Love the part about little John handing you his booger - now you know you are loved and needed! Keep up the good work!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete